Monday, June 11, 2012

Strollers...What I Wish I Had Known...

My oldest turned three this week...still in diapers though!  I started thinking about all of the strollers I have bought and used over the last three years for my three kids, and the list is a bit insane.  I must say, they've all gotten quite a bit of use, but had I known what I know now three years ago, the list would be considerably shorter.

So here goes.  My three-year stroller inventory includes:
Believe it or not, the first five were acquired all for my first son.  Yes, that's five strollers for just one kid!  And when you have twins just 22 months later, they become pretty useless!

My first piece of advice is to buy a stroller that accommodates all the children you plan to have, not just the one on the way.  With that said, if you are pregnant with one baby but plan to have another, don't buy a double stroller - that's a bit silly - but, buy a single that converts to a double.
 There are tons on the market that do this.  I had no idea when I was first pregnant, nor did I think it mattered.  This may cost you a little bit more up front, but save you considerable in the long run.  My five...yes, five...single strollers were basically useless when the twins arrived.  

The second bit is to consider where you will be using the stroller.  Plan to take frequent strolls on the beach?  There are very few strollers that move well in the sand.  Try a Bob Revolution or another similar all-terrain.  More of the urban type?  Then get a stroller that will fit in the back of a cab and moves well on city streets.


Next, think about how you will be transporting the stroller.  My  Snap n' Go got so much use in the nine short months that my son was in his "bucket" that the wheel started to fall off every time I took it out of the car.  It was extremely lightweight and easy to use and I could easily toss (maybe that's the reason the wheel kept falling off!) it in the back of my car without taking up too much space.  However, when the twins came along and I started researching strollers once again, the frame to my City Select only weighed four pounds more than the double Snap n' Go and it folded up smaller.  With three car seats in my new mini-van (no other choice!), space was at a premium.  Additionally, the City Select allowed me to transport two buckets, one bucket and a seat or two seats.  This was a huge plus with a toddler and two infants as I could put one baby in the Bjorn and push the other along with my toddler in the stroller.  It allowed us to be a bit more fluid and accommodate different situations.  It hangs out in the back of my car and goes everywhere with us.  I lose a seat when I have to put the Valco in the mini-van...it's that big!  Some strollers fold up great, while others are just massive.  A stroller is not going to help you if you can't bring it with you!

Make sure your stroller is a good fit.  My husband is 6'3".  He rarely pushed the Snap n' Go because he was completely hunched over to reach the handle.  Both my City Select and Runabout have adjustable handlebars which accommodate a taller person.  There are many strollers on the market that have adjustable handlebars, but few adjust comfortably to a person in the six foot range.  Go to a store that has a large selection of both affordable and high-end strollers so you can compare.  The City Select is not cheap, however, had I bought it in the beginning, I could have done without several others and saved a lot of money.  

The McLaren Volo is a great umbrella, it's sturdy and lightweight, but there is no recline.  So I bought the Chicco Liteway before our trip to Disney World as I thought (ha!) that my son would nap in the stroller if it had a recline.  Silly me!  The Liteway wasn't a waste, however, as it became my "in-house" stroller, used mostly for laps around the kitchen and when my son needed to sleep elevated for medical reasons.

If you plan to have multiple kids, invest in a good stroller upfront.  You can get them cheaper than you think.  The fancy high-end strollers come out with a new model each year.  A bit ridiculous if you ask me, but I was able to get a great deal because of it.  I waited until the 2011 Baby Jogger City Selects came out and then purchased a 2010 model.  I think the only changes were aesthetic and I'm not sure you could tell if they were side-by-side.  The 2010 model went from $499 to $299 overnight!  And my double valco, which sells for around $600 was just $125 used on Craigslist. The Joey seat, sun cover and triple rain cover were an extra $75, but $250 new.  And if you think Craigslist is a pain to search, just set up an alert and you will be emailed once your item becomes available...how easy is that??

No comments:

Post a Comment